0 Replies Latest reply: Sep 25, 2018 8:04 AM by Mauritz Zastron RSS

Qlik Sense add same qvd table twice in Data Manager

Mauritz Zastron

Hi all

We have a data structure in which we refer to one table more than once. To make it simple, consider the following simplified example. Say we have a table with meetings, attendees and organisers (where the organiser can also be an attendee). Our normalised structure looks something like this (very simplified, but I think it explains the problem):

Meetings

MeetingIdDescriptionOrganiserStaffId
      1Meeting 11
      2Meeting 21

MeetingAttendees

IdMeetingIdAttendeeStaffId

StaffMembers

StaffIdStaffMemberName
      1Tony Stark
      2Peter Benjamin Parker
      3Wade Wilson
      4Steve Rogers

In my example above, I would like to know how self service users can add the StaffMembers table twice in the Data Manager (not in the Data Load Editor) so that it can be joined onto the Meetings table (StaffMembers.StaffId = Meetings.OrganiserStaffId) and also to the MeetingAttendees table (StaffMembers.StaffId = MeetingAttendees.AttendeeStaffId). The Data Manager does not create a new "bubble" when I add the StaffMembers table again so that I can associate it with the MeetingAttendees table as well.

In other words, when I add the three tables I get the following:

Three_bubbles.png

When I try to add the StaffMembers again then I don't get another bubble, the picture stays the same as above. I would like something like StaffMembers2 the picture below:

Four_bubbles.png

This is going to be a self service solution and thus I do not want to change anything in the Auto-generated section of the Data Load Editor. The users will only have access to the tables/bubbles and will be able to add them using the Add Data function in the Data Manager. I would prefer to only store a table once and not to copy and rename it. In my actual problem, the same table can be used up to four times and they can be quite big as well.

Any help will be appreciated.

Description