I am a Qlik Sense administrator and developer. I consider myself an experienced user. I recently migrated to Qlik Sense Jun-18. I wanted to share a few things I have experienced and which I think ‘might’ be issues in this version. These are things I have experienced in this new version, that I have never experienced in any prior versions. Please note that 2 of my issues are related to the ‘relationship’ between the Jun-18 version of Sense and the Jun-17 release of nPrinting (17.4.0). Note I am planning to upgrade nPrinting to the Jun-18 release in the coming weeks.
I recently worked on a new app, customizing the load script and adding calculated dimensions and measures inside the app. I published the app, and it published ok according to the on screen confirmation.
On immediately opening the app, all the customization had been removed from the load script, dimensions and measures. I was left with a virgin load script, and mere ‘vapour trails’ inside the app.
On checking the QMC it showed the app with a blank migration status. This is really unusual as normally it says “successful”. This has never happened before.
nPrinting Connection refresh fail
I have had a connection in nPrinting to an existing application in Sense for a long time. On 17th August (well after migration to Jun-18 version of Sense) I successfully refreshed the connection to pull in some amended data calculations. On 31st August I needed to refresh the connection after adding a new chart to the app in Sense, but the connection wouldn’t refresh. Error was “Sequence Contains No Elements”.
So I backed out my small change, re-ran the connection refresh and got the same error. There had been no other changes made to the app (I know this as I am the administrator) that could be associated to this. I tried restarting both the Qlik Sense and nPrinting servers we operate on, but the error continued.
This situation harvests no useful error messages in nPrinting unlike other nPrinting errors (although their level of usefulness is questionable as you need a PHD to understand them). I didn’t resolve this issue immediately and I had tried today and got this error – this is all I have to work on which is really not helpful.
I tried a few other things to resolve, but nothing worked until I decided to clone the original app and delete some of the sheets to see if size was an issue. The app has a lot of sheets, so I deleted 50% of them, then the refresh worked. I then cloned the original again, and deleted 10% and it worked. I did it again with just a couple of sheets and it failed again. So I repeated the 10% example again (it worked) and then I just started cloning sheets inside the app to get back to a level where the qty of sheets was back to the original and it still worked.
Deduction therefore would point to the fact that one of the deleted sheets was causing the issue, but the problem I have with that, is that in the original app, no changes were made to it after the last successful refresh on 17th August (other than the new sheet I added and then deleted) and thus the status quo should have remained, ie it should have worked as by definition, nothing was different.
First time nPrinting has produced corrupted output
Out of nowhere, nPrinting started pushing out reports with garbage data. I have never seen this before. What is more, the results of each subsequent data production also produced garbage, but each iteration was different garbage.
A small example is below in the image.
I knew what Sense was producing, thus what nPrinting should have been replicating as output.
As you can see hopefully from the image narrative, it wasn’t until Qlik Sense server was rebooted that the data was produced correctly. Ordinarily I would have expected with any issue like this that Sense had hung or crashed or something else obvious, but in this instance Sense (by itself) was operating perfectly normally. The applications were available, the QMC was running updates with no issue etc. I have been trying to reproduce this issue, and almost 3 weeks later, I have had no luck.
In closing, again I'd like to express that these are observations I have had. In the main I have not been changing anything or doing anything out of the ordinary - I am an experienced user and I know how to operate the tools. Things have been behaving out of character and I don't consider any actions I have performed have led to these outcomes.