3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 18, 2018 3:05 AM by Tim Evans RSS

Ticket Trend - How to Count New, Open and Closed Tickets

Tim Evans

Hi All,

I am new to QLIK Sense and after searching the forums for the best way to report on the trend of New, Open and Closed service desk tickets I have reached the limit of my capabilities and am seeking some guidance and help.

Each record has a Date Opened and Date Closed field and I would like to trend the volume of tickets by New, Opened and Closed over periods of time.

The method I'm using is to create a related table and flag count, see below:

TicketTrend:

LOAD *,

MonthName(TrendDate) as TrendMonthName

WHERE TrendDate <= Today();

LOAD

[Ticket No],

Date([Date Opened]+iterno()-1, 'DD/MM/YYYY')  as TrendDate,

If(iterno()=1, 1,0) as Flag_New,

If([Date Opened]+iterno()-1 = [Date Closed],1,0) as Flag_Closed,

If([Date Opened]+iterno()-1 < [Date Closed],1,0) as Flag_Open

Resident [SN Tickets]

WHILE [Date Opened]+iterno()-1 <= [Date Closed];

The problems I have are:

1. How do I manage NULL Closed Dates - If the Closed Date is NULL no record is added to the TicketTrend table

2. The operation to update Flag_Closed is never successful

I have attached a sample source data file and app so you can see where I am at.

Look forward to learning from this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

• Re: Ticket Trend - How to Count New, Open and Closed Tickets
          David Forest

A solution would be to use IntervalMatch of the Open to Closed (or Today() if Closed is null) against a MasterCalendar generating a Flag_Closed, Flag_Open or a State Field with the value of Open or Closed per ticket per day.

This allows to total opened/closed stats for any day, week. month, quarter, year by looking at the last value for a ticket in the selected date range.

So for month end Jan 31, every ticket will have a value of opened or closed; yes this means tickets live forever and the database will grow, but Qlik works fairly quickly with this in my experience.

• Re: Ticket Trend - How to Count New, Open and Closed Tickets
            Tim Evans

After a little more time I have solved my problems.

1. Added a test for NULL Date Closed.

2. The date comparison of Date Opened to Date Closed was not working because my dates were timestamped.  I resolved this by converting the dates to date only in the load script.

Revised Script:

TicketTrend:

LOAD *

WHERE %KeyDate <= Today();

LOAD

[Ticket No],

Date([Date Opened]+iterno()-1)  as %KeyDate,

If(iterno()=1, 1,0) as Flag_New,

If(len(trim([Date Closed]))>0, If([Date Opened]+iterno()-1 = [Date Closed],1,0),'0') as Flag_Closed,

If(len(trim([Date Closed]))>0, If([Date Opened]+iterno()-1 <= [Date Closed],1,0),'1') as Flag_Open

Resident [SN Tickets]

WHILE [Date Opened]+iterno()-1 <= [Date Closed];

I have linked this table to my Master Calendar by the %KeyDate field.