Source Control on QlikView.
Like all projects working solo is not a norm and source control is a critical part of this collaboration working optimally. When it comes to QlikView most of the dev work is done by one person making Source Control a topic that is dwelled upon a lot.
We will look at setting up and using TFS in QlikView.
- Visual Studio (not earlier than 2013 since ‘Microsoft Visual Studio Team Foundation Server MSSCCI Provider is only available till 2013’)
- Microsoft Visual Studio Team Foundation Server MSSCCI Provider
- TFS Server or Visual Studio Cloud Server.
Setting up visual Studio cloud
- Set up your Visual Studio cloud server, ignore if you have TFS server, but you will still need to do number 9.
- Goto https://www.visualstudio.com/
- Then follow “Free Visual Studio” link
- Click Free Account just below “Visual Studio Team Services”.
- Login with your Microsoft details (Email login details).
- Give a name for your host and where you will host all your projects.
- Click “Team Foundation Version Control” for managing your code then click continue. (e.g. firstproject.visualstudio.com)
- Create your first project.
- This could be the name of your project or the name of the team as you can have many models within one Project.
- Install “Microsoft Visual Studio Team Foundation Server MSSCCI Provider” same version with your visual studio, only goes up to 2013.
Setting Up QlikView
- Open QlikView:
- go to file -> source control -> settings
- under the drop down select “QlikView MSSCCI Provider *32”
- Click settings and follow path to “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Team Foundation Server MSSCCI Provider” then select “TfsMsscciProvider.dll”
- You can only find this file when you followed number 9 above.
- Open QVW you are working together on.
- Go to File ->source control -> Add project to source control
- Click “Servers” then “Add”
- Team Foundation Server name is your hostname, in our case it is.
- Put in your login details.
- Go to the directory where you want to store your source control files.
- Name the file name of your source control then click OK
- Check in it will check in everything.
Using Source control
- With the other person, they will have to do steps 1 - 4 from Setting up QlikView
- They should go to file -> source control -> get project from source control
- Add your server
- Go to the folder where you stored your project. The file always has PRJ at the end.
- Set a local path where you will direct it to save your QVW file after compiling it. Click Ok and you have their version.
- Get Latest Version to get an updated version given whoever was working on it and checked it in
- Check in Pending Changes to check in the changes you have made on the model.
- Undo Pending Changes to undo changes that you made to the model.
- Roll Back only can be done in visual studio
- Open visual studio
- Go to Team and connect Team Foundation service
- Add the Server and connect
- Go to view -> other windows -> source control explorer
- Go to the directory where you saved your project.
- On each XML file, you can roll back individually.
- Right-click on the XML file you want to roll back
- Click rollback and follow directions.
Download as PDF:
For a more detailed download the PDF below.